I hope everyone had a merry Christmas! After our trip to Louisiana, we are getting settled back in here in Texas, putting away the last few presents and polishing off the ten-billion tons of remaining Christmas candy and other goodies.
Over the holiday weekend, I spent many happy moments with family,
trained the next generation in the fine art of over-decorating Christmas cookies,
played with puppies,
consumed a variety of delicious food and beverages,
and generally tried way too hard to take artsy pictures with my new iPhone.
Besides my new iPhone, I was thrilled to receive the beautiful glass bowl I’d been eyeing for years for my KitchenAid mixer as well as a new 18-55 mm lens for my camera.
And now that Christmas Day has passed, it is safe to reveal what goodies I cooked up to give. These cute gift baskets were my presents to family in town, and they included Italian cookies, peppermint bark, homemade vanilla extract, green jalapeno pepper jelly, and homemade vanilla bean caramel sauce. To my husband’s family members across the country and overseas, I shipped Italian cookies, peppermint bark, fudge, and this delicious Chex mix with homemade bagel chips.
This isn’t your run-of-the-mill Chex mix. The addition of homemade bagel chips, pecans, and loads of additional spices make it an addictive treat!
Chex Mix with Homemade Bagel Chips
There isn’t a precise science to making these bagel chips. Season them how you like them and feel free to get creative!
2 plain bagels, sliced horizontally into quarters
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
2 Tbsp olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 325°. Melt butter in microwave in small, microwaveable bowl.
2. Add olive oil to butter. Add Italian seasoning, garlic powder, garlic salt, and Parmesan cheese to taste. Brush fronts and backs of bagel slices with mixture.
3. Bake bagel slices on cookie sheet for 10 minutes on one side, then 5 additional minutes on second side, or until golden brown. Remove from oven. Bagel chips will harden as they cool. Break into bite-size pieces and enjoy alone or in Chex mix.
inspired by Emeril
3 cups rice Chex
3 cups corn Chex
3 cups wheat Chex
2-2.5 cups bagel chips
2-2.5 cups pecans
1 stick butter (I used salted, but it depends on your preference. I love my food super-salty!)
2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp plus 1 tsp season salt
2 tsp garlic powder
1.25 tsp onion powder
1. Preheat oven to 250°. Melt stick of butter in large roasting pan in oven.
2. Meanwhile, mix Chex cereals, bagel chips, and pecans in a large bowl. In a small bowl, mix season salt, garlic powder, and onion powder.
3. When butter is melted, stir in Worcestershire sauce and seasonings until well combined. Gradually stir in cereals, bagel chips, and pecans until they are coated with butter and seasonings.
4. Bake for an hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Spread mix onto paper towels to cool. Store in an airtight container.
Variations: Add pretzels; substitute other nuts (though I promise, pecans are by far superior).
Adapted from my Mama, adapted from Chex